10 September 2005

A Walk in the Desert






It was a perfect day for walking. Not too cloudy and not too sunny. Blue skies get a little old around here. A few clouds are really appreciated. For two reasons: keeps too much sun from getting all over the body and in the eyes, and, the patches of sun and shadow bring out a subtle difference in the desert colors which is fascinating due to it's very rarity. We ended up taking two walks in the desert hills near our home. Since I am a sucker for desert flowers the DH took many photos with his camera. I took pics with mine too but will have to post them later since it is now re-charging. Take a good look at that last yellow flower (sorry, don't know their names). When he was taking that picture a bee got rustled up. The cheeky thing showed it's disturbance by buzzing at both our heads-one after another, in turn. He wasn't posing for a photo op either. I regret to say that I took a swat at him with my hat but missed. Regret that I took a swing, not the miss. Let him be. It's his flower anyway. The wildlife has had to find ever distant back-country since the neighborhoods are being built up further and further into the desert, encroaching on their territory. We used to see deer up there all the time and once I got within 30 feet of a coyote. Scared him good. We see less owls, eagles and hawks than previous years. Of course, there is a bright side. Less rattlers and black widows too!

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Does anyone know how I can erase blog spam?

Louise said...

I love your close ups of the flowers...those two little girls are cute too!

Sunny said...

Louise, Thank you for reading my blog. Hope you have a safe trip. I really enjoyed your adventures and hope you continue blogging when you get home. Keep in touch.

Mama Bird said...

Those are mighty fine flowers photos--not what I think of when I think of desert, that's for sure!

To get rid of that annoying spam, you first log in and then you'll see a little trash can at the bottom of each comment. Just click the can on each comment you want to get rid of and Poof! it's gone. :-)

At the same place that you told your blog to not accept anonymous comments, you can also tell it to require comment writers to have to copy in a set of random letters. That serves as another level of spam-deterrance.

Sunny said...

"At the same place that you told your blog to not accept anonymous comments, you can also tell it to require comment writers to have to copy in a set of random letters. That serves as another level of spam-deterrance. "

Now, where was that?

Patty said...

Great pictures ! I am getting lots of spam too, sad to say. We are still having coyote travelling our fence line and seeing hawks daily and other birds of prey, etc. Owls are no favorite of mine since they removed the heads of about 20 of my chickens this year.
Keep on blogging
started back my old blog
http://morningramble.blogspot.com/
Got a copy of Pauls Whites CD this week !