23 March 2007

100 Days of Baby


Got to meet a new grand niece this week. She's in town to celebrate her first successful 100 days of life with the extended family. I accidently gave the kid a hundred bucks. Hey, it makes sense to me-a hundred bucks for a hundred days. But, in reality, I had gotten my Korean customs mixed up. Yes, the hundred day party is a biggie, but you do the bucks on the first birthday. That is when the child is presented with money representing wealth vs. other representations for other desirable attributes such as scholastic ability etc. Supposedly whichever thing the child reaches for predicts whether it will be rich or scholarly or...whatever, I don't remember the others. All the kids in our family went for the money. And none of them show any signs of getting rich quick yet. But, I didn't mind slipping the birthday girl her first C note. It was worth it to see the look on the face of her dad. For a minute I had him really confused too. But the very best moment was when I absent-mindedly asked the baby's age to the mom. She was mentally calculating it when all of a sudden we said in eye-rolling, head-smacking, self-scorning unison, "She's 100 days old!" Duh!

2 comments:

R. Aastrup said...

What an adorable baby! Looks like good food, too!

Patty said...

What a pretty baby, great customs too. Have to try the money or intellect thing with Mei-Ling Fah when she is a year